Doonamona Castle was built originally by the Normans as an Irish Tower House. In the early 15th century, it was occupied by the O’ Kelly’s of Uimaine for a short while before being sold back to the Bourkes. In 1574, Doonamona was owned by the De Burgo family, better known as the Bourkes.
The castle remained in the control of Bourkes until it was taken over by Bingham who was known at the time as the Black Tyrant of Connaught. Doonamona castle was famous for being the place where the Indenture of Mayo was signed in 1586, after a majority of chieftains submitted to Bingham’s authority. William Bourke who was known as the Blind Abbott and Justin Mc Donnell chief of the Clandonnell Gallowglass were among the first to submit. Bingham later hanged Justin one year later for his part in sheltering Spaniards who were shipwrecked off Ballycroy, on Ireland’s western shore.
The large hole at the top of the remaining wall is due to cannon ball fire by the French to the British around 1798.