Anglican Church and School
“In the early 1800’s, people from the north of Ireland came to Mayo to work in the flax industry, which is used in the making of linen. Here, [Tobarruane to Cloondachon] a church was established for those workers in 1828 to accommodate the large portion of Anglicans that immigrated to the area. Though only a bit of the church now remains, a two-story school was also attached to it to accommodate the children of the parents working in the mill. This being the nearest school, Catholic children were also forced to attend,” –Michigan State University (2009).
Michigan State University, Study Abroad Programme. (2009). Anglican Church and School. Internal Report: Folder 3, Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail—Clogher Environmental Group Ltd. Unpublished.
Tochar Phadraig: A Pilgrim’s Progress, (n.d.) p 40, Stage 6 Tobarruane to Cloondachon. (Source can be found in above Michigan State University hard copy source folder). No further reference information currently available.